Thursday, February 25, 2010

DIY ZINES


The Do It Yourself culture is coming back around.

The creative joy from making recycled crafts, regaining personal power as we shift from corporate consumerism into locally made or self created essentials, and the pinch of the economy that sew our pockets a little smaller, are all reasons to get your hands on this Zine by Raleigh Briggs.

I've talked to grandma's about how excited I am to make things out of what I have around or recycle crafts, like old sweaters into wool pants for kids. I find it empowering and fun, as well as economical. They've told me they used to do the same, never throwing things away, always making it into something new, because they had to. I wonder if we're getting to that point. Either way, I do it because there is a certain level of gratification like when you figure out how to tie your own shoe. You're independent, and you don't have to wait for someone else when you're ready to run.

You'll love the illustrations and information. If you want even more DIY info, another great Zine is Making Stuff & Doing Things by Kyle Bravo. Both published under Microcosm.

No comments: